Tuesday 10 September 2013

Recipe Review

I found this recipe the other day and just had to try it. I improvised a little, and came up with something I thought was spectacular, still healthy and appeals to different taste buds.

Now the original recipe is a quinoa salad, I couldn't track down any in my town so I improvised and made a Cous-Cous salad, and it was delicious!

Ingredients

Main salad

  • CousCous
  • Red onion
  • Mixed (red, orange, yellow, green) peppers
  • Any other veggies you'd like to add (beans, mushrooms, broccolli)
Salad "Dressing"
  • Lemon
  • Olive oil
  • Salt/Pepper
  • Cumin
Meat (Optional!)
  • Shredded/Ground chicken
  • Taco mix

1. Start with the chicken, which will probably take more time to cook than any of the other stuff. While it's cooking feel free to prep your veggies (peppers/onions)

2. Once the chicken has browned up follow directions on the cous-cous box, and also start the taco seasoning with the meat

3. Take the onions and peppers and in a different sauce pan feel free to fry them up, and add spices if you wish

4. When the cous-cous is finished mix it in with the vegetables and start prepping your "dressing".


  •  I honestly didn't measure and the original recipe says lime juice but I improvised once again, and just did it to taste. Only getting the salad coated enough so that it wasn't so dry. 
  • Another idea is to get the taco chicken and instead of letting it cook out all the taco seasoning, you can coat and mix the cous-cous together (I ended up doing this afterwards and it was amazing!)
All in all I believe the whole thing from prep to eating, took less than an hour! Easy, quick, delicious, and healthy. Four words I love to hear when it comes to making dinner. The best part is it's just as amazing the day after for lunch at school/work!


Cous-Cous with peppers, onion and taco chicken!

No comments:

Post a Comment